The Ellington Study Group is a led by composer and pianist Scott Healy, and is open to all music professionals.
The group is open to all professional composers, arrangers and performers, and will feature hands-on and in-depth study of jazz composition, orchestration, arranging, jazz music theory and formal analysis using classic and modern scores and recordings. The music of Duke Ellington is a point of departure – the class will cover many influential jazz composers and bandleaders, from Bennie Moten, Bob Brookmeyer, Thad Jones and Gil Evans to Sun Ra, George Russell and Ornette Coleman.
In May, 2017, the ESG expanded its format to include guest speakers. Please join the e-mail list and check back for upcoming classes. Generally the ESG LA meets once every two months depending on artist scheduling.
Many thanks to the Academy of Scoring Arts for underwriting the ESG LA.
The Ellington Study Group classes are held at Vitello's E-Spot Lounge in Studio City, CA, from 10am - 12:30. Tickets are $15 - includes continental breakfast.
Signup for the Mailing list
Classes, Past and Future
- 10/20/18 – Voicing Boot Camp and Drummer Bernie DreselSATURDAY, OCTOBER 20TH 2018 – 10am – 12:30pm CLICK FOR TICKETS Saturday the 20th is going to be a jam-packed class. I want to spend an hour talking about how to voice a big band horn […]
- 6/30/18 – Birth of the Cool and Duke with Guest Paul PeressOn Saturday, June 30th at 10am we’ll start delving into Miles Davis’ revolutionary “Birth of the Cool”. This influential and enduring work has it all: inspired arranging, […]
- 5/5/18 – Concert Jazz and Extended Form – and Mervyn MagicEllington’s auspicious Carnegie Hall debut in 1943 gave us the masterpiece “Black, Brown and Beige”, arguably the first long form, extended “legit” concert jazz […]
- 3/24/18 – THREE GREAT WORKS, GRANT GEISSMANSATURDAY, MARCH 24TH, 2018 – 10am – 12:30pm On March 24th I want to start talking about a composer’s intent – how a writer’s vision is carried forward and realized. This will be the first […]
- 8/25/17 Quantum Meter and Tim DaviesOn the 25th I’ll open up the topic of meter and time in jazz composition. We’ll talk about how a composer can engage meter, ways to work within a grid of time, or to work expressively […]
- 5/6/17 – Harmonic Rhythm and Special Guest Brent FischerPLEASE NOTE NEW SATURDAY TIME and EXTENDED FORMAT HARMONIC RHYTHM AND SPECIAL GUEST SPEAKER BRENT FISCHER On Saturday May 6th at 10am we’ll continue our exploration of harmonic rhythm, focusing […]
- 2/25/17 – Hello and GoodbyeSaturday Feb. 25th, 2017 at Vitello’s E-Spot Lounge, Studio City, 10am – noon On Saturday: Geek alert! I want to spend some time talking about what some call “harmonic rhythm”, […]
Class Materials (including pre-2015 classes)
- Class Materials 10/20/18GOT GROOVE? BBB SCORE ESG 10_2018 – Score Got Groove? Voicing Examples 1 – Ens Ex’s Got Groove? Voicing Examples 2 Got Groove? FULL REDUCTION – FULL REDUCTION GOT GROOVE? BBB FINAL – DRUMS
- Class Materials 6/30/18Paul Peress Charts: I Just Can’t (CD Version) Sugar_City_FINAL2 Show Me
- Class Materials 5/5/18Class Materials 5/5/18 “Black Brown and Beige” Orchestral Suite arranged by Maurice Peress “Spanish Key” Miles Davis – SH Transc-Arr “A LOVE SUPREME” sketch (is this authentic?):
- Class Materials – 3/24/18DIM and CRESC- Improv as Comp – Katherine Williams VCFA-Ellington-Lecture-Andy-Jaffe-Feb-2017-5 Hey! Great news…er…”Black Brown and Beige” full score of the full suite as performed in 1943 is now available on […]
- Class Materials – 8/25/17SCOTT HEALY MUSICAL EXAMPLES, 8/25/17 "DIm and Cresc in Blue" -full score RHYTHM EX #1 "I Ain't Got Nothin but the Blues" Arr Healy Score "DYHANA" - m1-29 Leads_Bass_Chords "DHYANA" m1-14 - Horn Reduction w_BS TIM DAVIES MUSICAL EXAMPLES […]